Choir, Band, Handbells, and Music Appreciation
Believing in the importance of music experience and education, Trinity Lutheran School offers a comprehensive musical program for all our students.
Mary Anne Hibbard, Minister of Music
PreK 4 and Kindergarten
Besides music experiences in their classrooms, all students meet for Choir once a week. PreK 4 and Kindergarten participate in the all-school Christmas concert, occasionally sing in Sunday or festival worship, and the all-school spring musical.
1st – 4th Grade
All students have two Choir sessions each week. They participate in the all-school Christmas concert, several Sunday and festival worships throughout the year, and an all-school spring musical.
In the spring, as an introduction to instrumental music, all students will have an experience with Handchimes plus an introduction to band instruments and playing in Band.
All students will have one class session of Choir each week. All students also have either Band or Handbells twice each week.
6th – 8th Grades
All students have either Choir or Music Appreciation classes twice each week. All students also have either Band or Handbells each week.
Choirs, other music groups, as well as individual students, periodically offer music in school chapel worship and Sunday and festival worship, as well special school music events, including the all-school Christmas Concert, Ascension Day sacred concert, and school spring musical, plus possible off-site performances.
Trinity Lutheran School has a hymn or song of the month – relating to the year’s theme or the season of the year. Learning this hymn or song gives us opportunity to express our faith in song and learn more about our Lutheran musical heritage.
Value of Music Education
- Music – develops math skills – counting – patterns in numbers – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions
- Music – develops decoding skills, useful in learning to read
- Music – develops listening skills, useful in all areas of life
- Music – develops skill in thinking ahead
- Music – develops memory skills
- Music – helps develop vocabulary and enunciation
- Music – requires individual effort and investment in a team project – develops the ability to be a contributing part of team
- Music – helps one see the relationship between small parts and the greater whole
- Music – encourages them to strive for excellence individually and as a whole group
- Music – develops the ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs and situations